July 31, 2011
July 29, 2011
- The online magazine world continues to explode, and my newest find is Kinfolk Mag. This magazine makes me breathless with it's beautiful imagery, and text. Absolutely swoon worthy.
- My mum and I scooped up copies of Jeni's ice cream cookbook the minute it came out, and holy hannah... it is awesome. We tried the Star Anise Ice Cream with Candied Fennel. It left us speechless. So ASAP, I will be purchasing a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for myself to make all these amazing creations, as well as getting a personal trainer, to offset the copious ice cream consumption. My Monday Night Supper Club better watch out...
- I've been looking for mattress ticking fabrics, and my search led me to Ian Mankin out of the UK. He has a fabulous range of utility inspired fabrics which speak to everything I love.
- I also discovered Merchant no. 4 this week, an online store out of NY that has curated an interesting collection of good from a variety of independent artisans and designers. Most of their collection focuses on really simple, handcrafted goods.
July 26, 2011
On our last day, we stopped over at the Frying Pan, which a bar that sits on one of the docks overlooking the Hudson River. It was a really interesting place, and it was great to sit somewhere in the cool breeze. Unfortunately for me, I tend to get a bit seasick at those types of places. A moving boat in one thing, but a slightly moving dock is another. It was all I could do to drink one ginger ale before bailing.
Our very last stop was for a quick taste of the ubiquitos Pinkberry. I have always wanted to taste their special frozen yogurt and I finally got my chance. Any boy was it good. The yogurt was perfectly tart and sweet. And now I will spend my time trying to recreate it's perfectly balanced flavors. Or, you can now get it in Vancouver!
So that was our food adventure. I've kept one under wraps for a post later this week, and more great details of our trip to come.
July 24, 2011
July 22, 2011
- I discovered Crabbies this week, so I can at least have a good time at home with a bottle of this in hand.
- My favourite jewellery designers have ventured into new territory. A couple of weeks ago, Nervous System launched their new lighting collection. Building on their portfolio of 3D printed nylon products, these pieces look like beautiful underwater specimens.
- We've decided to do a large artwall installation in our dining room so I'm on the lookout for affordable prints and unique images. Check out this incredible collection of photography, from Vincent Musi. And the best part? These are all free to download and use for your personal use!
- This is a stunning handpainted ceiling treatment, complete with timelapse video! I've been more and more interested in unique handpainted walls and ceilings lately. Am I willing to attempt something like this myself?
July 20, 2011
July 18, 2011
July 11, 2011
July 8, 2011
I guess I'm starting this Friday off on a low note, as one of my life list items is technically unachievable now. This morning, NASA launched the final flight of the Atlantis space shuttle, marking the ending of the space shuttle program. And I wasn't there to watch it. So I guess that puts that item on hiatus for awhile.
Oh well. It's another Friday, and another summery forecast for the weekend! What do you have planned?
- I started this morning off with an Eton Mess donut from Jelly Modern. It was fabulous. Have you been yet? The Eton Mess was a special flavour for Prince William's visit, but they have many other delicious flavours like the lemon, or maple bacon!
- I picked up a copy of America's Test Kitchen magazing this week, and I forgot how much I loved Cook's Illustrated in general, and also the ATK show on PBS. Easy, straighforward recipies with great tips and photography. I'm planning to cook my way through that magazine from cover to cover.
- We have made a couple of restaurant reservations for NYC, and one that I am particularly excited about is ABC Kitchen. At this year's James Beard Awards, ABC won Best New Restaurant for 2011. You can count on a few foodie posts over the next couple weeks.
- Black Sheep White Light is a Toronto retailer of beautiful and sustainable hides. Originally they sold a variety of sheepskins, and have recently added reindeer hides to their line.
July 7, 2011
July 5, 2011
July 4, 2011
July 1, 2011
- Love this Calgary print by etsy artist birdAve. Etsy is also featuring lots of red and white on the homepage today in honour of Canada Day.
- Thinking I might like to steal some of my neighbours rhubarb and make this rhubarb galette this weekend.
- And now that the postal strike is over, my latest issue of Anthology mag arrived. You must pick up a copy. It's always filled with such wonderful things.
- Loving this Feist cover by James Blake, Limit to Your Love.