August 17, 2011

So it's been a bit rough around here the last couple of days. Last Thursday I discovered mold in our basement, after some water leeched in during one of the downpours we had. It was in the spare bedroom, after I noticed that the drywall was rippled. I was alone in the house that week, and really don't go down there very often anyway, so I guess it had a couple days to really soak in and make itself at home before I found it. It's so gross. Mold. Yuk. I'm so embarrassed and I feel like I let down my poor little house and made it sick. I know that's probably a stupid thing to think, but I do.

I'm even more embarrassed over the ridiculous amount of money it is going to cost to clean it all up. The carpet was damp all around the edge of the basement, which means it all has to get ripped out, the drywall ripped out, the insulation ripped out, and then they do the mold remediation, which involves lots of chemicals and fans, and air balancers. Oh, and money.

Then we have to figure out where the water came from and try to prevent it from happening again.

So all in all, I'm not feeling up to blogging much lately.

I will abstain from posting any mold pictures because that's gross, and this should be a happy place (see illustration above, via). However, I will share the process with you so that everyone can learn! And it means that I get to redo the basement, which was okay, but now I get to make it better! (silver lining)


Kait said...

Aww, Sarah. So sorry to hear this. If you need any help, let me know!

Elyse said...

I'm sorry your having to go through all that! I would agree. Mold is gross! Yuck! But you're handling it gracefully. Also, I have used that particular unicorn image to make pins before. Unicorns look awesome on pins. ;)

Post a Comment