February 23, 2010

Paper art is one of my favourite things and it seems that security envelopes are everywhere these days. Artist have opened these envelopes up, literally, to reveal the beautiful inner patterns, and use them in a variety of ways. Here are a few of my faves:


The above installations are by Francisca Prieto. These installations comprise her latest show in London, called Between Folds/Envelopes, where she has folded the paper using different origami methods to create the overall composition. There is nothing I love more than the sharp preciseness of the origami, combined with all the beautiful blue patterns. Photo's via Design*Sponge.


I first learned about girlprinter via the latest issue of Uppercase, which contains a spread of her collection of security envelopes. While looking at her site, I found that she recently had a show of letterpress prints featuring security envelope patterns. Very lovely. Photo by Carolyn Fraser.



And while I was checking out Carolyn's blog, I found some extra envelope eye candy. These images are of artist Kristiina Lahde's work. I love the lightness of these pieces. She has lots of great paper art on her site. It's so incredible the time and patience that must go into a piece like this. I want to hold my breath when I look at these, they are just so fragile and beautiful.


There are lots of people making buttons or accessories with security envelopes too. The image above is from Becky's Buttons etsy shop, but I've seen lots of these around. Actually easy to make yourself too, if you have a button maker.

0 comments:

Post a Comment