February 2, 2011

The most exciting thing for me when I visit design shows is always the more conceptual exhibits, and IDS11 didn't disappoint. This year the installations were entitled Sibling Revelry, which featured designer siblings creating spaces together.

The first space was called the Green Bunker by My and Thien Ta Trung, who operate the design studio, Periphere, and their shop, Domison, in Montreal.


My and Thien created the most conceptual space in the exhibit featuring free form upholstered stool, sculptural plants stands, and a textural paper installation.




The second space was designed by David and Glenn Dixon, from Dixonhouse in Toronto.


The inspiration for this space was the story of the 1000 paper cranes. The ceiling was finished with lattice work, from which the 1000 paper cranes were suspended. The quality of light within the space was really beautiful, and it was hard to believe you were in the middle of an exhibition hall.



The third space was designed by the Brothers Dressler, who operate a woodworking studio in Toronto.


The space perfectly reflected their vision of repurposing and up-cycling materials by combining all sorts of salvaged wood pieces in unique ways. Some forms were more raw salvage, like the exterior wall made up of the old windows. Others were very refined, like the furniture pieces you see below.





The last space was designed by Sarah and Theo Richardson, of Sarah Richardson Design, and Rich Brilliant Willing respectively.


Obviously this space was most popular, as both siblings are super stars in the design world. This space appealed to me, because it was the only one where the siblings came from very different design aesthetics. I loved seeing the contemporary lighting and furniture from Rich Brilliant Willing's line, juxtaposed with Sarah's classic eclectic style.






So which was my favourite? I'm gonna say the Richardson Siblings was the space I most responded to. I loved that they created three small spaces, I loved the pops of colour, and the eclectic mix of pieces that were used in the space. Maybe it's the obvious choice, but it certainly hit all the check marks for me. Yes, it wasn't as conceptual as some of the others, but maybe I'm not as deep a thinker as I claim to be. Besides, I think it's always best to follow your gut, and I just felt happy here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment