March 14, 2011


Somehow it doesn't seem right to be posting about my holiday right now with so much devastation going on across the ocean. I can't keep myself away from the news. And I fear it is only going to get worse.

While in Hawaii we had to evacuate for the tsunami too. It was one of the worst things you could say to me. My mind started reeling with images of Thailand from 2004, and it was all I could do to get to the evacuation centre as soon as possible. We parked our car overnight about a mile up from the coast at the small island airport. I paced through the building all night, catching updates on the broken radio. Listening to people receive calls from the mainland with more information. After 12 hours we were allowed to go back. Our beach had a line of debris about 8' past the normal shore line.

All that doesn't really amount to much compared to what is going on in Japan right now. So many awful things, and each day it seems to get worse. Knowing how terrible I felt at the thought of a tsunami, I can't imagine what those people are going through right now.

I wish I could fold 1000 paper cranes and make it all go away.

You can donate to the Canadian Red Cross here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment