July 24, 2011


My favourite coleslaw is the tiny container that you get as a side at the Avenue Deli, here in Calgary. I love non-creamy coleslaws, and I have been attempting to recreate the dressing for the Avenue one for awhile. I think I did just that tonight. This salad is bright and crisp and perfect as a summer side dish.

Fresh Summer Coleslaw

1 Tbsp Oil
5 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Crushed Garlic
1 Tbsp Mustard Seeds
2 Cups of Shredded Green and Red Cabbage and Carrots (This is the size of the pre-shredded store bought bags of coleslaw you can also buy)

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl and whisk. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately for a really crisp salad, or let the cabbage marinate in the dressing so it gets a bit softer.

I've had cabbage salads with almonds, cranberries, or dry chow mein noodles added, and I think that this salad would be a great base for adding all of those things to as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment